Yoruba ‘iro and buba’ and more modern trad looks are styled glamorous for traditional events with a ‘gele’, learn how to nail it
‘Geles‘ (common as a Yoruba trad statement piece) are the perfect accessories for weekends when they come out as vibrant statement on traditional modern looks.
The classic Yoruba ‘iro and buba’ and more modern trad looks are styled glamorous for traditional events with a ‘gele’ which can be tied in different ways bringing the whole look together.
Yemisi Seriki of Nsure Beauty shared a general way to how to nail a perfect ‘gele’ a while ago for Pulse and it comes in handy everytime in few steps:
1. Fold the Gele into 2 equal half
2. Wrap around your head.
3. Overlap the Gele at the back of your neck
4. Bring the hand of the Gele forward and pause at the middle of your forehead.
5. Make a few pleats
6. Take the pleat to the back
7. Change hands to help create wings
8. Fold to the middle of the neck where the other hand is
9. Make sure you have a firm neat grip
10. Make sure both edges are gripped firmly
11. Then tie tight (Twice if necessary)
12. Make more pleat to the front of your Gele and close up at the pleats